Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Because you just never know...


There are a lot of things I love about being a photographer. Being a sentimental person, I love the idea of having little snapshots of the things that make up our everyday lives. Irreplaceable reminders of how things were at that moment in time.

As cliche as it sounds, kids DO grow up way too fast and although we can't freeze time, we can use photographs as a way to keep those moments fresh in our minds. At times I am obsessed with taking pictures of every little event in my children's lives, but it wasn't until a terrible tragedy happened that it really struck me as to the importance of capturing these moments for others.

I photographed Cassidy when she came to my studio on her first birthday back in 2009. She was so full of life and had the most beautiful blue eyes and a smile that could just light up a room. We had so much fun with her cake smash session and as you can see, she really loved her cake.

Months passed and life marched along, then one day I got the news. Just six months after her session, at only 18 months old, precious little Cassidy passed away in her sleep. There was no explanation...she was just gone. I was just heartbroken for this new little family that lost their little girl.

So as I sit here reflecting on all those special moments I get to share with my littlest clients, I am reminded of how valuable my job as a photographer really is. Nothing makes me happier than photographing little babies and children in a way that will be remembered long after that moment has passed. It's a responsibility I take very seriously and am so honored for all the opportunities I've had to capture these moments for my clients...because you just never know.




11 comments:

  1. I too adore the moments I get to capture and share with my clients. We play such an integral part in preserving their memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preserving moments in time for clients is the biggest gift we get to give a client :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a blessing these photos will be to the family. Heartbreaking, I can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG heartbreaking, but what a gift that you have timeless images for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done that a few times but never with a baby and I hope to keep that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That breaks my heart. I know the family is grateful for every image they have of their beautiful angel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband always says he is so happy he married a photographer for just that reason. Heartbreaking story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me wish I had more time to photography my own kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. heartbreaking and I am sure the family cherishes and reflects on those same images now. Truly it is so important to capture your loved ones professionally while you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! I can't even imagine something like that. You are so right...you absolutely just never know. She's a precious little girl and I'm so glad her family has these images to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh! I am so sorry for this family. Look at these beautiful photos you captured for them. This gives us another reason to capture memories for our families!

    ReplyDelete